by Cassandra Clare
–review by SuddenButInevitable
Here lies Julian Blackthorn. Too much coffee not enough pancakes.
One problem (outside of not liking Emma’s character) is the fact that you need to keep up with all of the Blackthorn family. It’s like 8 people, right off the bat, and surprise! most of them are underage and so just kind of get lost. Maybe Dru will have a bigger part, but I kept getting her and Livia mixed up, and Ty and Tavvy. Towards the end of the book, I started to remember which was which but by that time, we’re focused so much on the Mark/Christina/Julian/Emma, that everyone else gets lost.
- This group has a car… and it’s weird that these Bad A** Shadowhunters roll around in a Toyota. I guess it’s not different than taking the subway everywhere….
- Mark/Kieran – this will end in sadness. It will end badly
- I still feel theres’re entirely too many characters to keep track of
- pg 361 I bet Johnny Rook is the Guardian of the Lottery (after book update…. nooooope, guess again)
- pg 388 And Jace’s Spaghetti bath isn’t looking so bad now
- … “but when Nephilim felt like throwing a party about how awesome Nephilim were it was always a feature.” hahahahaha, oh Nephilim, throwing parties for your own sake.
- that’s… not the way parabatai work…. maybe someone should ask Jem?
- Emma is like me…. always threatening physical harm for believed slights
- pg 469 maybe not Johnny Rook. Maybe Malcolm Fade. Anyhow, there’s something fishy going on with Malcolm.
- Oh Julian, you best not make promises to those children you can’t keep.
- How crappy is it that Shadowhunters can still get Cancer?
- pg 518 Told you this would end badly. Also, I knew Julian would do what he just did.
- No, No, I love YOU more. *gag*
- Parabatai love is still less gross than incest…
- Christina/Mark/Diego triangle is forced
- Oh hey look. Malcolm IS sketchy.
- Yes… let Mark and Keiran fly to the convergence. Everyone else… TO THE COROLLA!
- I want a book about Keiran.
- pg 584 Yes, he can. Because you know what else is in that protection circle? That kid you want to save.
- Good to know that Jace is still a Drama Queen.
- Wayland the Smith is an actual Norse thing. Like, he wasn’t just made up for this story.
- Climax hit… are we really now going to spend the rest of the book talking about forbidden love?
- WAIT, WHAT? It seems the Herondale line won’t end if Jace doesn’t take the name.
- aaaand the prize for the worst transition ever……
- The Herondale family tree must be super boring what with everyone naming their kids Jonathan Christopher or some variation thereof
- Many times I’ve asked the same question, Kit. Many times.
- You foolish, selfish girl. Anyone else but Mark. You had a perfect beard in Cameron and you chose the kid who’s already borne so much and feels so low and I kind of hate you for it. No, Cassie, that explanation doesn’t make all that much sense
And there’s a short story at the end called a Long Conversation that’s I dunno… like a piece of the story that was cut because it didn’t quite fit into the narrative and an editor said, cut but Cassie said, nah, bro, I’ll just slip it in at the end. But it features Alec and Magnus and the main crew so I’ll go with it.
- *sniffle* Call back to my Infernal Devices Jem and Will. ADORABLE and I love it.
- So, no one’s going to ask why there’s a boat load of tulips that Izzy’s allergic to? I smell plot device.
- Am I supposed to know this George person? Because I don’t remember him at all.
- She’s sitting on a piano. The ground can’t sweep out from under her.
- What the actual crap, Clary? What the heck was that last line?
And last but not least, can we get some more Mark/Keiran back story? Because that relationship is probably super unhealthy, but still. I kind of like it.